Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Chaste


Starting again in the Titus 2 study, we are on the word chaste {morally pure; modest; simple in design or style}. 

Because there were not many verses on chaste, I also looked at Proverbs 9 -the opposite of a chaste wife.  Vs. 13 says:
“A foolish woman is clamorous: she is simple, and knoweth nothing.” 

Later in the chapter it says that she cries
“Stolen waters are sweet, and bread eaten in secret is pleasant.” 

Am I modest and simple in my design or style of clothing? 
Or is my dress and attitude clamorous? 
Am I trying to draw attention to myself?  
Is my dress causing men to secretly lust after me? 

The {cultural} dress here is very different from America.  Everything in their dress is to draw attention to their bodies.  Everything is flashy and/or immodest.  I know that it is somewhat like that in America, but it is so much worse here.  In the summer, everyone is wearing see-through shirts and mini skirts that they must have bought in the children’s section.  Between the women and the naked posters/magazines, there is so much pressure to look beautiful and skinny.  Though I am not tempted to dress that loosely, sometimes when I am dressing I catch myself wanting to wear or not wear an outfit based on whether it makes me look slimmer and prettier or not.  I get caught up in the struggle to be beautiful in “men’s” eyes instead of asking myself 
“Does this outfit draw people to God? Or to ME?” 

Part of this is because, being an American, I am watched and judged everywhere I go.  And Ukrainians have told me {on more than one occasion} that Ukrainians are the most beautiful women in the world.  I pray that I will not let this pressure me and that I can be chaste {modest and simple in my style}, so that my dress does not distract from the Gospel but rather points people to Christ.  Instead of people saying, "Oh, what a beautiful, pretty lady!"  for them to say "She really believes the Bible and there is a difference about her."  and be drawn to learn more about CHRIST.

1 Peter 3:1-5 talks about an unsaved husband who is won to Christ because of the way his wife lives.  I think this also applies to the unsaved world around us.  A chaste wife is not a common thing in our world and the world is watching the Christian wife to see how she is different.  We either draw them to Christ or push them away.

Whether it's modest or not...why do you wear what you wear?  Your actions will show your heart.  Modest, simple clothing is ruined with a loud, attention-drawing demeanor.

We are to be "chaste...that the Word of God be not blasphemed".

Missed a study?

1 comment:

  1. This was such a good lesson, and so true. I am thankful that Kenya is still pretty modest, although pants are the biggest fashion now in the towns, and many times they are quite tight. But so far, Kenya is still more modest than America.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...