Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Obedient to Their Own Husbands

Ouch, ladies...think you can handle this one?


If you're still with me, brace yourself.  This is the last of our study on Titus 2, but may be the toughest.  Even though I'm sure I've read it many times, really hit me hard this past summer.  

Obedient - dutifully complying with the orders or instructions of one in authority 

It's funny {or more like sad}, but I've always thought and heard that a wife was SUBMISSIVE, which everyone said was different from obedience and made us equal.  The Bible doesn't actually say we have to obey, does it?  Only children have to obey, we have to be submissive.  How could I have missed this fact for so many years? 

First, I looked up the word obedience, then obedient, then obey.  There were so many good directions to take this study, but the one that grabbed my attention was

"Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right." 
Ephesians 6:1 

The same word is used, OBEY.  All I could think of was the title of that book {which I've never read but heard is good} "Me?  Obey HIM??"  So I thought about what obedience means in relation to my children.  With my children I expect them not only to do what I tell them, but to also have a good attitude, to do it right away, etc...or it is not obedience.  I also have certain expectations that they know they are to abide by~which I do not repeat to them {like never going to the neighbor's yard without my permission}.  I then looked up the word comply {to act in accordance with another's command or WISH}.  That's what I expect out of my children.  Can you imagine if that's what husbands today expected of their wives?  They'd never make it out of the house alive!  But that is the way the Bible says we should live.  Most of the time they are not going to give us a command, but we do know what they wish and we are to comply with that...not slowly or with a bad attitude, but immediately and happily.  Their wish should be at the top of our priorities.  How often does that happen?  If my kids put something else above obeying my command they would receive a punishment, but our husbands put up with this every day as we put the children and other things above his wishes.  Two other verses stood out to me. 

 "Obey them that have the rule over you, and submit yourselves: for they watch for your souls, as they that must give account, that they may do it with joy, and not with grief: for that is unprofitable for you."
Hebrews 13:17

He has been given the responsibility of watching and caring for our souls!  No matter how good or bad of a job we think he is doing, he is the one who must give account and we must submit.  The second verse was

 "If ye be willing and obedient, ye shall eat the good of the land." 
Isaiah 1:19

If we wish to eat of the "good of the land" in our homes and see only good fruit produced, we MUST be obedient unto our husbands.

Titus 2:2-4 is ended with ~ "that the Word of God be not blasphemed".  Wow!  That is pretty powerful!  When I don't obey my husband I am blaspheming the Word of God.  We would not even dream of blaspheming the Word of God, but many of us do it on a daily basis when we won't follow the instructions God has given us in Titus 2:2-4.  I pray that this study has been a blessing and help to you.  It sure was an eye opener for me!

For the rest of the studies on Titus 2 click here .

2 comments:

  1. Found you by way of Julia...

    A great post. I teach a Ladies Bible Study and use Titus 2 and this very subject..of course.

    Wonder how many women realize they blaspheme THE WORD OF GOD by their lack of submission AND obedience to both husband and GOD.

    We also covered detail situations, where women might not realize this! Questioning even his simple request or ignoring it's importance.

    It is a great study.

    God bless.
    HOPE

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...