Saturday, June 4, 2011

My Growing Garden

This week has been so full, both of excitement and discouragements.  Eric has been pretty busy counseling the Christians here with different things going on in each of their lives.  They need your prayers as they grow and we need your prayers as we handle each of these baby Christians that we may do it tenderly and with love.

We have really been wanting a family photo but it is always so difficult to get everyone together.  This past Sunday before we headed out to services, we decided to have a short photo shoot.  Though this is not a favorite photo of mine, everyone was actually looking, even if they don't look very happy.

Yuri drove in, saw us taking pictures and said "What about me?"  Valodia is in the car as well, but he is hiding.  Kristina was at her mom's this week for an orthodox "holiday" concerning the dead.  Her mom is pressuring her so much and I know it is a real struggle for Kristina.  I am the only other christian here in the village and it is very difficult to go for a visit with 3 kids.  I try to visit at least once a week, but even that is hard.  It takes at least 30 minutes to walk over with the kids - usually an hour.

Sammy was standing by the couch and his little chunky legs and feet looked so adorable that I HAD to get a picture.

My garden is doing pretty well.  I have one grapevine. {Aren't the little grapes adorable?}

You can't see all of the little plants in the distance, but I've counted over 15 tomato plants, 15 bell pepper plants, at least 20 cauliflowers (I wanted broccoli but couldn't find it), 10 green beans, 10 peas, LOTS of strawberry plants...then other things which haven't come up yet.  Since most of you probably haven't started your gardens yet you'll think I'm crazy when I tell you that I started mine late!


I also have at least 10 stalks of corn, but not in my garden.  Most Ukrainians plant these along there fences, along with their sunflowers.  Next year I will also plant my peas and green beans along the fences, as I've seen many people doing that and it will save me space in my garden.

I'm really looking forward to canning this fall, but a little nervous.  Ukrainians do not can "the safe" American way and this is my first year canning, so I am on my own.  I am hoping that I can find a pressure caner {at a price I can afford} so I am able to can even the corn, green beans and peas.

When we went shopping the other day, we found this cute little dustpan set for no more than 10 cents!  I had seen some little brooms and dustpans in the children's section before, but they were always at least $10!  The girls {especially Lydia} LOVE it.  Lydia saw a mess the other day and took care of it herself!  Sammy thought it was great fun too, though I don't think he was much help.

Well, guess I need to finish those pancakes.  My kids are just now waking up and it's 8:14!  I'm loving this laid-back Saturday morning!

10 comments:

  1. Your garden is looking beautiful! One of the ladies in our church has a big beautiful garden. She has planted plenty of stuff to share with us =) I look forward to fresh produce - especially cucumbers! She also planted some corn for us. We are all looking forward to eating some fresh, sweet corn on the cob.
    Your family picture is so colorful! You all look wonderful. Pictures like that will bring back great memories.
    May God bless your family and your ministry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great family picture! I see now that one of your girls looks like you and the other like your husband. Not too sure about Sammy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm! That sounds wonderful, Rachel and so sweet!

    I agree, Jessi and Sammy looks just like my brothers, dad and grampy.

    Thank you, Maria. That is a huge compliment coming from you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the garden. we don't have anything ripe in our garden yet.. and your kiddos are SO CUTE! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not doing a garden this year. It's just too much for me with a new baby. So, I really enjoyed these pictures of yours! Do you want me to send you some brocoli seeds? They probably wouldn't take long to get to you from here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Kim! :)

    And I would LOVE that, Phyllis. Do you think it's too late to plant them this year? I will email you our address later today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all your pictures and posts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your growing garden! (And I'm talking about the one you are growing for the Lord! Although the other one is pretty great too because it keeps the "family garden" healthy and strong!)

    Great looking family picture!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful Pictures! The one of Sammy's legs is adorable! I just love chunky babies. :-) I really enjoyed reading about your garden especially since we can't grow one here! I have many fond memories of my mother canning. Enjoy all the great food!!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...