Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Learning to Be Still

"But Martha was cumbered about much serving..."
Luke 10:40

Do you remember this post?  Well, it seems I still haven't learned.  No matter how hard I try, no matter how much I don't like it, I always seem to going back to being a Martha.  At first glance that looks pretty good.  Serving is a good thing, right?  Until you read...

"And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things:  But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her."  Luke 10:41,42

My heart always cries out when I read those two verses!  I don't consider myself worried about many things, but I definitely always have a million things on my mind to do.  I never seem to be able to sit down and relax...whether at church, at home or even when I'm doing my devotions.  I don't feel like myself unless I'm able to do something.  I love my "serving" job at the church, it sometimes feels like the only "ministry" that I am able to do.   Recently, Lina's mom came to visit me and went back saying that I was a busy bee...always going about doing something.  I loved that (pride?) and it probably only encouraged me more.  Lately, though, the Lord has forced me to just relax a little and let things go.  When I say forced, I literally mean that.  For over a month now, my asthma has continually gotten worse.  So much so that some days I don't get "anything" done (unless you count cuddling with my babies :)).  I am forced to relax as it can be a struggle just to breathe some days.  When I was in America I was given two options: 1) live by the ocean (or sea water) or 2) use a steriod inhaler.  Well, we obviously can't do the first one, unless God calls us to do so and neither of us really feels like the steriod inhaler is a good option.  My sweet husband recently found a natural "pharmacy" and asked what they had for bronchial asthma.  He brought me back some essential oils, herbal "candy" drops and teas to help.  I have found that if I use those first, before using my regular inhaler, that I either don't have to use my inhaler or, if used, my inhaler actually works.  He has given me back massages and "pats" during some of my mid-night coughing attacks.  He has also looked into sending me to a salt "cave" (room).  I really don't know what I would do without him.   Thankfully, my attacks seem to be getting fewer and weaker...which came at perfect timing because our family has had some type of stomach virus which put Eric in bed Thursday through Monday!  The rest of us haven't had it as bad.  The girls complained about upset stomachs and Sammy cried all day Saturday and Saturday night, but they all seem to be doing better now.  Eric has still been complaining about his stomach, so we'd really appreciate your prayers concerning this.   

With all that has been going on, I haven't been able to take many pictures lately...besides the fact that I'm usually carrying my inhaler, a salt inhaler, essential oils, etc. and don't have much room for my camera.  But I have managed to snap a few pictures lately - all with Eric's phone.

We've been taking more walks to the wooded areas to help me get outside and avoid the smoke from the neighbors' burning.  Life in the village has a "slow" quality to it and you'll almost always see men fishing  

or along the river.

I also did a small photo shoot for my sister....Thanks for the dresses!  They're beautiful!


Eric took a photo of Max and Sammy.  It looked adorable without the cropping and editing, but even cuter after.

Lastly, took this picture on the same walk as the first picture.  Thought it was fitting for this period of my life.

Lord, teach me to be still so that I may know you!

1 comment:

  1. What beautiful pictures! I will take a moment to pray for you right now...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...