Thursday, March 3, 2011

Everyday Adventures

Thought I'd make a post to let you all know that we haven't frozen yet.  I did pick up a pretty nasty virus which put me in bed with a fever and cough for 6 days.  I am so thankful that I had my sister here to help take care of the house and kids because there was no way I could get out of bed.  I also had a sweet little nurse named Anna who kept coming by to feel how hot I was, then she'd say "Mama, you need a wet wash cloth." or "You need some juice.  You need to drink it.  It will make you feel better."

Before the sickness we had some adventures too.  First our electricity broke (or the electric box?  I'm terrible with those kinds of terms), which meant no heat.  On the coldest week of winter, this was not a good thing.  Bree and I packed up the kids and we spent the day with Christina at her house while Eric and Yuri worked on getting the electricity going so we would have heat and our water pipes wouldn't freeze.  Eric picked up chicken for lunch but before we ate that, Christina served a chicken soup that she had prepared earlier.  Bree and I thought it tasted good, you remember this picture?  Yeah, well I didn't seriously think they actually ate it, until I saw Yuri picking up the head of a chicken out of his bowl and proceed to eat it.  How he ate it or how much, I don't know because I was unable to watch.  When we finished our soup, Christina started moving the bowls off of the table so that we could start the second course.  As she came over by Eric he quietly said,  "Christina, I don't want to offend you, but I really can not eat this."  In his bowl lay another chicken head!  "That's okay"  she said and brushed the head off into Yuri's bowl.  He then went on and on about what a delicacy this was and that it was his favorite part of the chicken.  "Taste just like lobster!"  Hmmmm.  No thanks, I say (but then, I don't like lobster either).  Soon after that we were able to go home.  The electricity had been fixed and our pipes didn't freeze!  YAY!

A few days later, I went to visit with Valentina.  She had just had her surgery for cancer and was needing some groceries and fellowship.  Eric's car was in the shop so the kids stayed home with Auntie Bree.  It had to of been the coldest day I have ever been out in!  My eyelashes and hair froze on the 15 minute walk to the train station!  Lina and I had a very good visit with her and I stopped shivering after a few days.  Valentina is doing very well and has even started coming back to church.

Baba Nora has said that she can't come over for tea because she has to keep a fire going in her wood stove.  I'm not sure if this is just another excuse or not, but planting season is coming up on us soon, then she will be too busy planting.  She is still super friendly and is always dropping off candy and fruit for the kids.

I should probably get going.  Valodia is coming over for Bible lessons tonight so I need to go make a soup...though all I feel like doing is taking a nap, but alas, I chose to blog instead!  Maybe I can still squeeze in 15 minutes.

I'll leave you with a few pictures that are sure to brighten your day.

Anna and her 'pile'

Pretty Lydia, who decided she had been photographed enough

And Sammy...isn't he ADORABLE?  Don't be too fooled though, he is a little rascal. 
But I guess he comes by it naturally...on both sides of the family.

No comments:

Post a Comment


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...