Saturday, July 17, 2010

Sun & Flowers


"Your going to Ukraine to be missionaries?  Better bring some WARM clothes 'cause it's COOOOLD there."  That's what we thought too.  When I went shopping for a coat, didn't seem like I could find one that I thought would be warm enough.  As I packed our few boxes for Ukraine, it included some nice, WARM sweaters.  Cold, snowy winters?  Bring it on!  I must admit, I was a little shocked once winter came and found out that Maine was colder sometimes and definitely had Ukraine beat in the snow area.  I was even more shocked at how hot the summers are!  Praise the Lord He allowed it to be cool the week Sammy was born!  To help beat the heat, and the crankiness, we turned the girls little sandbox (was more like a dessert) into a mini pool...their own personal oasis in our backyard.  It has greatly helped the attitude in our house.

Nastia, one of the neighbor girls, comes over almost daily and joins the girls in their "pool".  While the girls are playing, sometimes her mom will stand by the fence between our houses and talk.   During the first few weeks, people kept coming over and whispering something to me.  I finally think I've figured out what they were saying...think it was something like "They're Jehovah Witnesses.  Don't talk to them."  From what she and Nastia have said, I think that they may be Orthodox.  She allows the JW's into her home at least for studies, which may be why people say she is one.  This, to me, says that she's searching for something and whether JW or Orthodox, they still need Jesus.  Pray for me that God will give me the words (in Russian) to say to her.  My Russian vocabulary is still so limited and I usually have the distraction of kids that sometimes I can't think of what to say until it is too late.  The mom's name is Sveta. 

On Sunday before church we had our first lady's Bible study.  Some of the ladies will be sharing what God is doing in their lives.  I shared with them last Sunday a study I had been doing on the tongue which started from a study I did on the virtuous woman who spoke wise AND kind words. (Proverbs 31:26)  Desiring to be like her, I strove to watch my words and control my tongue.  What I found out is that, even though the tongue is little, no man is able to tame it. (James 3:5, 8)  The end of James 3 tells us that the tongue is controlled by the heart .  If we have bitterness and strife in our hearts, that is what will come out of our mouth.  Which led me back to one of my favorite verses...."Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things."  Philippians 4:8  Even if none of them needed this study, I did!  Between, the new baby, heat, difference in customs (especially concerning what to do with babies), etc., I've been in need of this reminder.  (Eric has had fun with this and taken every opportunity this week to "preach" my Bible study at me all week.)  I am looking forward to hearing Lina share with us tomorrow.  I believe she will be talking about "doing all for the Glory of God", which I could use that too.  Whether I am changing diapers, doing dishes, cooking for Sunday/Wednesday services, teaching ladies' Bible studies...ALL need to be done for the Glory of God.

Wednesday night services have been going well, with new visitors from the village on a regular basis...though our little living room is way past the point of crowded.  Some of our "regulars" make jokes about the lack of room, but you can tell they are happy about that problem.

Yesterday on the way home from evangelism, Eric let me stop by a sunflower field near our village.  They are absolutely beautiful and every year I have wanted to get a picture.  So, here are a few of the pictures we took (couldn't get him to take a picture with me because it was spur of the moment and Lydia was sleeping...still got a picture of her).

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...