Monday, September 26, 2011

What's for Supper?

 A few months ago, I had a creative streak run through me as I was preparing supper which resulted in the creation of a family favorite (as long as I remember to SHRED not CHOP the onions, haha).

Yuri and Kristina are coming over for supper tonight (they couldn't make it last week) and this is what's on the menu, along with biscuits from the mix I made earlier and carrot cake (if I have the energy). 

Here's how to make it:

Layer sliced potatoes on bottom of pan (sometimes I lightly fry them in oil and water until tender), pour 1/2 of the seasoned white sauce over potatoes.  Add a layer of shredded or chopped onions then sliced carrots (in the photo I had left over corn and peas so added that as well).  Next add a layer of cooked chicken, bread cubes/crumbs then pour on remaining sauce.  Lastly, sprinkle shredded garlic on top.  Cook at 375 degrees until veggies are tender when pierced (about 30 minutes to 1 hr).

White sauce

Melt a little more than 1/4 c. of butter in a saucepan.  Add a little more than a 1/4 c of flour, stirring until bubbly and mixed.  Stir in 4 cups of milk until thickened.  Remove from heat and add desired seasoning.  I have used both mushroom seasoning packets and chicken.  (In the photo, I made a thicker sauce with 1/2 c. butter, 1/2 c. of flour and 4 cups of milk, but the sauce barely made it past the first layer.)

Well...guess I better get in the kitchen.


1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...